Growing up you believe the world is meant to be the way it is. The older I get the more I realise that this is not the case. The world is full of injustices and atrocities that governments and the voice of faith expect us to accept, though with each passing year they grow fewer and fewer, at least one would hope. I have created this blog as a space for me to rant about all things science, politics, philosophy and religion, before it’s too late and the vessel of new atheism propelled by a growing surge in secularism solves all of the world’s problems for good.

Thursday, 21 July 2011

What Iran (Persia) was like before the Islamic revolution

This blew my mind. Forgive my ignorance any older readers who were around pre-1979, I was born in the 80s and in my naivety believed Iran had always been an Islamic stronghold. I'm sure like me the majority of people think that all corners of the world is in a constant process of opening up and becoming more 'western' and liberal. Clearly that's not the case at all, which is such a shame. 

I think Egypt is probably on the way to where Iran is today. I saw an interview with an Egyptian woman recently saying that 30 years ago you would never see anyone wearing a hijab in public, let alone a burka or niqab. Nowadays, she was saying any Egyptian woman seen in public not covering their hair, at the very least, receives a great deal of verbal and sometimes physical abuse. 

Hopefully one day we can take the clock back in countries and peoples held hostage by Islam.

2 comments:

  1. Saudi Arabia also used to be similar before they went all Wahabbi on us too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm It's pretty tragic. I guess though if things can change that quickly then we never know what's going to happen in the future, especially with all of the recent uprisings in the middle east. Clearly they've had enough.

    ReplyDelete