Growing up you believe the world is meant to be the way it is. The older I get the more I realise that this is not the case. The world is full of injustices and atrocities that governments and the voice of faith expect us to accept, though with each passing year they grow fewer and fewer, at least one would hope. I have created this blog as a space for me to rant about all things science, politics, philosophy and religion, before it’s too late and the vessel of new atheism propelled by a growing surge in secularism solves all of the world’s problems for good.

Saturday, 23 April 2011

The Caudal Lure

I thought my first post should be one pertaining to the title of my blog “The Caudal Lure”.

Being a biologist I’d learned of how some animals use Caudal luring “the use of tail movements employed by a predator to attract prey animals.” It’s a behaviour that is really prevalent in snakes, especially vipers and pitvipers though numerous other snakes, and animals too use a caudal lure.

It’s also the name of a song from one of my favourite bands, Karnivool – The Caudal Lure from their latest album called Sound Awake. It’s a beautiful song using the caudal lure as a metaphor for how religion drags people in without questioning things, religiosity and curiosity, to me, negatively correlated. I can’t remember whether or not I thought up the analogy between caudal luring and religion before or after I heard this song, but I guess that’s irrelevant. Karnivool’s singer and lyricist Ian Kenny undoubtedly put pen to paper on the issue better than I could have. And I’ll post the lyrics below for you to have a read of, but for 100% impact I definitely suggest listening to the song (YouTube clip linked above). I also might add for atheists and music enthusiasts, Karnivool’s Sound Awake is heavily based on religion and questioning it. I definitely recommend having a listen sometime.

Here’re the song and lyrics.



"Ask a question
Are the answers loaded like this one?
You better pull yourself along
Time is precious and you must act
This isn't inevitable
I still stand
I won't get back in my cell
I will not let a saviour define my freedom
I'm going out now
No-one is gonna save us from this..."


I've always been incredibly interested in, and equally frustrated by, the way in which religion seems to drag people in. There seem to be so many different ways in which this occurs: through people convincing their friends to come along join in their "happy, loving, perfect, saved" community; where the religious convince others that they have monopoly on all the ultimate answers to the questions of any uncertain mind; where someone has lost a loved one, or suffers from depression, etc and are preyed upon by the religious who offer a "helping" hand to ease the suffering. I've had numerous friends and family members attracted and then ensnared by the caudal lure of religion. To me, such people have been taken advantage of by religion and religionists. It seems to be more about adding fuel to the fires that power the  religious machine, than really about easing suffering and helping others genuinely, though I'm sure many a religionist would protest to that point. 

"Hey I heard your grandmother just passed away? That's really sad... We believe that people live on after death! Wouldn't you prefer that than to think your grandmother is rotting in the ground? Come to church with me on Sunday and you can believe these things too!! It'll make you happy!"

Though I may have exaggerated the hypothetical conversation just slightly above, the point still remains the same. I have many a friend who has been in tough times who has then all of a sudden attracted a great deal of interest and subsequent comforting from the religious. They often offer a great deal to the depressed and suffering, but unfortunately as an atheist, I see their offer as being a great deal more than what they actually have to give. And hence, am infinitely frustrated when the people in need of comfort don't see things as they really are, wishful thinking and the need for comfort often outweigh their grip on reality. That said, who could blame them? I would rather believe dead friends and relatives were watching down over me, and that I would see them again one day too... but wanting something to be true doesn't make it so.

Anyway, welcome to my blog! I hope to have some lively discussions in the future derived from posts I throw up. I don't know everything, never will, and am will indefinitely be wrong from time to time. Pull me up with your point of view where you see fit, with sufficient evidence and persuasive argument you may hopefully change my mind in certain cases and enlighten me all the more.

Pete.

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    Thanks for the song, I've never heard this group before and I think it's great!
    I find this very interesting, so I'll be following this blog ^^

    Julia.

    PS: Sorry if my english is not very good... I'm from Spain and I'm still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're most welcome Julia :D Thanks for subscribing and I hope you enjoy the future posts! Your english is fine, better than my Spanish at least haha

    ReplyDelete